JoeyPinkney.com Exclusive Interview
5 Minutes, 5 Questions With…
Elva “Precious Love” Thompson, author of A Mother’s Cry
(One of the first ten people to comment on Precious Love’s author interview will win a FREE copy of A Mother’s Cry from JoeyPinkney.com)
This book is an inspiring autobiography about a young woman who stayed in a fifteen-year abusive marriage for the sake of her children. Without notice, she finds herself filing for divorce on the grounds of abandonment because her husband walked out on her and their daughters.
She then had to put her business on hold, moved her family to another state to start over where she tries to adjust to becoming a divorced single parent. With being in a new state, she strives to get her business back together, the ups and downs of raising her children alone, and at the same time, going through the struggle of getting to know herself again.
Joey Pinkney: Where did you get the idea and inspiration to write A Mother’s Cry?
Elva “Precious Love” Thompson: Past life experiences. I was a victim of domestic abuse for a duration of 15 years since 1985 at the hands of my ex-husband. I felt like I had no outlet besides staying in prayer, so I decided to write a journal. What started out as small writings here and there turned into chapters and chapters of words because there was something new happening everyday.
JP: A Mother’s Cry is a story that many women can relate to from the abandonment to raising kids alone to having to find oneself amidst the things life throws your way. What has been readers’ responses to this novel?
ET: Here are some of my readers responses:
- I read this book about a month ago and found it to be an excellent book. As I read this book, I felt lots of emotions such as anger disbelief, hurt and joy.The author of this book, who tells her story, is an amazing woman. She and her children are very courageous individuals. I would recommend this book for any woman who is seeking strength to make it through a troubled relationship. I love to write, but I have always hated to read. This book turned me into a reader. Once I read this book, I was anxious to read her next book, and I did. ~Shelly U., Austin, Texas
- This book is such an inspiration to my life as a divorced single mother of two children. I think that the author is an ideal role model for me and women all over. I recommend this book to both men and women. ~Mirta H., Orlando, FL
- I’ve read a lot of books, but when I came across this one I was stunned. The author out did herself when she wrote this book and backed it up with a second to continue. This book is great, and I recommend it to anyone and everyone.Â ~TCollins217
- I had been going through the same type of things as the character in this book. Since I picked this book up, it strengthened me to leave my situation and move on forward. Thanks to the author because this book has truly made a difference in my life. ~Lisa B., Riverdale, GA
- I really enjoyed reading this book. Its one book that I have introduced to my reading group. I passed it on to some of my coworkers as well, and they all loved it. You don’t get to read many books that are about really talking about something these days. ~Melissa W., Jacksonville, FL
JP: As an author, what are the keys to your success that lead to A Mother’s Cry getting out to the public?
ET: Turning negatives into positives. I turned my negative situation into a positive by forgiveness first and then shared my testimony with the world in hopes that my story can be of some help and an inspiration to others.
JP: As an author, what is your writing process? How long did it take for you to start and finish A Mother’s Cry?
ET: My writing process is constant. It’s imperative that I keep a notebook and pen underneath my bed. Different thoughts and inspiration may hit me at odd hours of the night, and I like being prepared. As far as the amount of time it took me to write this novel, I would say approximately one year. Life happened in between.
JP: What’s next for Elva “Precious Love” Thompson?
ET: I would like to continue to be a voice and share my testimony with others that are or have been in my situation. I speak at conventions, forums, gatherings and different events regarding domestic violence/abuse. I am an active volunteer and member of DAHMW.org (Domestic Abuse Helpline for Men and Women). My latest work in progress is Battered Secrets: MEN of Domestic Violence where men are starting to come forward with their stories.
In the meantime, I continue to run my business as an editor since 1997, as well as continuing the fight for victims of domestic violence. I also have a guest television appearance in Atlanta, GA on November 20th called “Atlanta Live”, which is a christian program discussing my novel as well as sharing my testimony.
I have several upcoming booksignings throughout the East Coast as well as appearances for well known radio stations and magazines. I will keep you posted and you can also keep up with my upcoming events and media kit from my website.
P.S. Join the Joey Reviews Newsletter at http://joeypinkney.com/joey-reviews-newsletter.html.
Please click on the banners to learn more about each JoeyPinkney.com sponsor:
You need to advertise with JoeyPinkney.com! (Click here for more information.)